compensation: Depending on Experience and Education employment type: full-time
QR Code Link to This Post
Pacifica Graduate Institute is a privately accredited graduate school located near the coastal community of Santa Barbara, CA. Pacifica offers masters and doctoral degrees in psychology, mythological studies, and humanities, and is currently seeking a Manager of Information Technology.
The Manager of Information Technology is responsible for installing, maintaining and supporting computer systems and communication networks within the organization. The goal is to ensure the smooth operation of these systems and communication networks in order to provide maximum performance and availability for users, including staff, clients, students/customers and suppliers. The position will be responsible for routine maintenance and implementation of server, network and phone systems. The position applies the understanding of computer, network and telephony concepts to implement complex systems, diagnose problems, determine appropriate courses of action, and provide complete issue follow-through. The position provides Tier III support to faculty, staff and students, and provides outreach to these constituents, to assess their needs and relay the level of support that Pacifica's IT department can provide to them. The position will also require managing a small helpdesk and audio/visual staff. This position, at least when starting out, will not have budgetary or strategic planning responsibilities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Effectively manage a small team of helpdesk and audio/visual support staff.
• Maintain clear levels of communication with supervisor, helpdesk and audio/visual staff, and all other employees.
• Ensure the development and use of effective preventive maintenance programs that includes updating and upgrading server, network and telephony hardware and software to ensure the integrity and security of the operating environment.
• Analyze, troubleshoot and rectify Cisco network communication failures and bottlenecks.
• Deploy, configure, update, and replace network hardware including routers, firewalls, switches, and wireless access points.
• Manage, upgrade and maintain a Microsoft Exchange and SQL server environment including related third party supporting infrastructure components.
• Ensure appropriate security levels are maintained and practiced on all Pacifica systems and configurations, whether they are on-campus or for remote access. .
• Analyze, participate and recommend technology requirements and hardware specification to determine the feasibility of design within time and cost constraints.
• Develop, plan and maintain a multi-site VMWare server environment that leverages the advanced benefits of virtualization technologies.
• Ability to take ownership of production issues, working closely with the support, applications and development teams to resolve issues.
• Continually automate and refine monitoring tasks of systems using HP SIM and Orion NPM tools to proactively prevent system downtime.
• Manage, upgrade and maintain a multi-site Windows Server 2008 R2 Active Directory domain deployment.
• Provide tier III troubleshooting and support of all server, network, and telephony infrastructure service issues.
• Provide on-call support and occasionally perform job duties outside of normal business hours as required.
• Design, implement, maintain and deploy Group Policy, DFS, DNS, DHCP and WINS technologies.
• Deploy, maintain, and replace server hardware.
• Manage and administer an HP LeftHand virtual SAN storage array.
• Manage and administer an Avaya IPOffice phone system.
• Write and develop department documentation.
• Recommend purchasing hardware and software as need to maintain workstation computers, servers and network.
• Represents Pacifica to all external I.T.-related vendors and organizations.
• Keeps up with developments in information technology use in higher education environments.
• Implements strategies to contain costs and increase efficiencies in the IT department.
• Perform other related duties as assigned.
Help Desk Personnel
• Must have knowledge of, and demonstrable experience with Cisco switch, router and VPN technologies.
• Must have knowledge of, and demonstrable experience with HP LeftHand virtual SAN storage array.
• Must have firm understanding and experience with TCP/IP connectivity issues in LAN/WAN/VPN/Internet environments.
• Experience with Exchange 2010 and related third party SPAM, Content Filtering, and Anti-Virus software.
• Experience with VMWare and HP server and hardware virtualization technologies.
• 3 - 5 years of hands on experience designing, securing and troubleshooting with Active Directory 2008 or higher, Group Policy, DFS, DNS, and related technology in a multi-site environment.
• Solid background on TCP/IP networking and troubleshooting in a Microsoft Windows networking environment.
• Experience with Symantec Endpoint Protection, BackupExec, and Mail Security for Exchange.
• Strong knowledge of network monitoring software is highly preferred.
• Experience with enterprise-level migration to cloud-based systems such as Microsoft Azure and Office 365 in an academic or corporate environment.
• Prior experience in, or knowledge of, the higher education, graduate-level environment.
• Ability to work effectively under pressure, independently, and within a collaborative team oriented environment using sound judgment in decision-making.
• Ability to clearly and concisely communicate technical information to non-technical users at all organizational levels.
• Experience setting procedures, network software and hardware standards, documentation standards.
• Hands-on experience using Microsoft Server system administration tools, server build documents and server troubleshooting processes.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
High School degree required; Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, a related field, or equivalent education strongly preferred.
Minimum 4 years hands-on experience in a mission-critical production environment using Microsoft Windows Server 2008 and above.
4 years hands-on experience on system administration skills, server build and server troubleshooting.
Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Windows and Office including Word, Excel and PowerPoint for support and troubleshooting.
Advanced knowledge of Macintosh OSX operating systems for support and troubleshooting.
Pacifica Graduate Institute is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by nondiscrimination policy.
We offer a full benefits package including Paid Time Off, 401k and ESOP!
Please submit a cover letter, resume and three professional references.
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers